Thursday, January 9, 2014

Modified from a post by Roann

25% of this piece I cannot take any credit for. this rhyme-game was modeled on a conventional poem by Roann.


Pick-A-Path Poem

(At each choice pick one couplet or the other)

------------------------------------------------Stanza 1

I lay down on a sandy beach,
And lazy, closed my sleepy eyes; (Pick 1a or 1b)

 1a. A thund’rous rumble broke my sleep

And storm clouds muddled my surprise (Go to 2a.)

-or-

1b. With the wild waves just out of reach,
Under the baby blue bright skies. (Go to 2b.)


 

------------------------------------------------Stanza 2

2a. Then ocean roiled and drenched the sand

And rain-filled clouds threatened the same (Pick 2c or 2d)

2c. I found a hut that was at hand

Seeking to skip the violent rain. (Go to 3i.)

-or-

2d. But with some urge to escape land

I hid from the rain in the surf’s mane. (Go to 3j.)

 

2b. A dolphin called out, smiled at me,
Beseeching me to come and play; (Pick 2e or 2f)

2e. I waved back and swam out to sea,
On that glorious gold summer’s day. (Go to 3k.)

-or-

2f. Binoculars I took to see

Sharks, not dolphins, teeth in array. (Go to 3l.)


 

------------------------------------------------Stanza 3

3i. the hut was dark and strewn with weeds

Yet it had long served passersby (Pick 3g or 3h)

3g. Though it appeared to meet my needs

I quickly chose to leave the sty (Go to 4g.)

-or-

3h. A step inside, and my toe bleeds

Stung by a jellyfish fling inside. (Go to 4h.)

3j. Under the waters, sky so wroth

Was pickled and gingerly mute (Pick 3c or 3d)

3c. The water’s safety, warm and soft

Guarded me from storms abuse. (Go to 4c.)

-or-

3d. Till thunder pierced from high aloft

Shattering me down to the root (Go to 4d.)

3k. We chased the waves, beneath the sun,
And searched deep for sunken treasure; (Pick 3a or 3b)

3a. We found a jewel golden spun
We found pure fun and pleasure! (Go to 4a.)

-or-

3b. But ocean games are not all fun

All face the end of child’s leisure. (Go to 4b.)

3l. Furious teeth sped up my step

Fleeing from the empty beach (Pick 3e or 3f)

3e. I called a cab to end my trip

The very first payphone I reached (Go to 4e.)

-or-

3f. I heard the screams from echoed depth

And saw blood on the ocean’s crease. (Go to 4f.)


 

------------------------------------------------Stanza 4

4a. My soul rejoiced, joy brimmed my heart,
And then I woke up with a start...

4b. My soul rejoiced, joy brimmed my heart

Despite watching the waves depart.

4c. Mother Ocean serves her children best

When they reside in her den.

4d. Half dead, my mind was vicious smoke

Then with a startle – I awoke!

4e. Dolphins can be a lot of fun

But when you see the shark  -- its done!

4f. Not one word – believed the police

They claim three murders – first degrees!

4g. the sky cleared up, the sun returned

And fear-clad memories were spurned.

4h. I thought my time would end too soon

Help brought ammonia for my wound.

 
The original from Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment